Friday, December 14, 2007

Election

Election was one of those books that, minus the sex scenes, I could see my 15 year old sister reading and loving. Unfortunately, the satire in this book was almost completely lost to me. I mean, once you see the movie (which was worlds better) the satire pops right out. But that's the thing...I shouldn't have to see something in film form in order to get it. At first, I thought I was stupid for not picking up on it. And then I started to realize that it was because the book was written in such a way that the satire wasn't obvious. In other words, Perrotta didn't do a great job.
Like we all said, the movie was way better. I wholeheartedly agree. I liked Election for being a fast read and an interesting book, but so much more could have been done with the narrative. Perrotta could have written a different tone for each character, making each character more distinct, but for some reason he didn't. He also could have put a bit more time into explaining each character. But the worst part, was the ending. He really copped out there. It ended too abruptly, and to weirdly.
All in all, Election was a good idea. It just wasn't executed well.

No comments: