Friday, December 14, 2007

The Importance of Being Earnest

I enjoy anything that pokes fun at people who are better off than me. I suppose that part of it is that I resent them for having more money than I do, but another part is certainly that most of them are incredibly stupid, and don't know it. Pieces like this point that out, and, for those of us who are not as well off, it's quite funny.
Jack and Algernon and the picture perfect aristocratic team. Money, women, and multiple identities. They've gotten so caught up in these things that they've forgotten who they are. They're lost, like most people in their situation. When everything is handed to you, there's no point in doing any work. Especially not to find yourself, as most of us end up having to do.
The end of the play caught me off guard a bit. Things ended too happily and it all came together too well. There was irony, sure, but not enough to make me think 'wow...that was an unexpected ending'.

No comments: